Semenova Valeria N.
- Universitetskaya emb., Build. 11, Office 160
- 2013: PhD Dissertation “Ethiopian iconography XIX-XX cent: ethnographic collections of the Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera)” in History (Ethnography, Ethnology and Anthropology), Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) Russian Academy of Sciences (MAE RAS).
- 2007–2012: Ph.D. in Ethnography, Ethnology and Anthropology, Department of Africa, Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography (Kunstkamera) Russian Academy of Sciences (MAE RAS).
- 2005–2007: M.A. in History of Asia and Africa, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, St.Petersburg State University.
- 2001–2005: B.A. in Philology of Asia and Africa, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, St.Petersburg State University.
- Current: Assistant, Department of African Studies, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, St. Petersburg State University
- 2005 — up to now: Research fellow of the Department of Africa of MAE RAS; Curator of the permanent Exposition “Africa South of Sahara”; Curator of African Photoillustrative collections; Secretary of Foreign Affairs of MAE RAS.
Awards and honours:
- Diploma of the second degree of the Russian national competition of young lecturers for the course “African art” (2017)
- Russian (native),
- Amharic (fluent),
- English (fluent),
- Geez (reading),
- Deutsch (reading),
- Italian (reading)
- Religious Christian painting of Ethiopia (esp. wall painting of the 19th cent);
- Material culture and art of Africa;
- history of African art;
- manuscript tradition of Ethiopia;
- methods of Amharic teaching;
- traditional Ethiopian grammar books.
- Amharic language
- Art of Africa
- Historical Grammar and Theoretical Aspects of Amharic Grammar
- South-eastern Ethiopia: Christian enclaves among Muslim Oromo (on the material of the expedition of Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography Russian Ac. Of Sci. 22nd March 2008 – 5th April 2008)” // Technologies of the 21st century: biological, physical, informational and social aspects. The second St.-Petersburg Humbolt-Kolleg Conference. St.-Petersburg, Russia, October 7–9, 2008. Abstracts. pp. 38–39.
- The Lion, the lion cub, The Oxen and the Pigs: Interpreting a 1900`s Ethiopian Political Popular Painting // The Life and Times of Lïj Iyasu of Ethiopia: New Insights. Eloi Ficquet, Wolbert G. C. Smidt (Eds.). Zürich, Berlin: LIT Verlag, 2014. P. 75–79.
Congresses and conferences (abroad):
- 18th International Conference of Ethiopian Studies «Movements in Ethiopia, Ethiopia in Movement” (29 oct – 2 nov 2012, Dire Dawa, Ethiopia). Paper: «Interpreting a painting: art representation of the Ethiopian state»
- Herrenhausen Symposium «Positioning Ethnological Museums in the 21st Century» (21–23 June 2015, Hannover, Germany). Paper (poster): “The Ethiopian Ethnological Collections in St. Petersburg: Determined by the Soviet Union Scientific Tradition”.
- The expedition of Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography Russian Ac. Of Sci., Southeastern Ethiopia (Bale, Harar, Dire Dawa), 22nd March 2008 – 5th April 2008.