- Universitetskaya emb., Build. 11, Office 20
- Russian (native),
- Hindi (fluent),
- English (fluent),
- Urdu (reading)
- 2010 — Habilitation, Doctor of Science (History). Habilitation Thesis “Formation of of South Asian Diaspora” defended on 30th December 2008.
- 1994-1997 — D. Phil. Program in Anthropology and Geography, University of Oxford, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- 2001 — Doctor of Philosophy. D.Phil. Thesis «Ethnic Group in the Post-Soviet City» (Supervisor Professor Ceri Peach). PhD Thesis: “South Asian Muslims in Great Britain” (1999, supervisor Prof. Sofia Maretina and Dr. Nina Krasnodembskaya).
- 1987-1993 — Undergraduate and Master Program in the History of India
- Since 2010 — Professor, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- Since 2003 — Associate Professor, Department of the History of the Far East, SPbSU.
- 1992-2003 — Research Fellow, Peter the Great Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Awards and honours:
- Canadian Studies Award (2001, 2006, 2009)
Professional and social activities:
- Visiting Professor CEU (Budapest) 2011
- Gonda Fellow IIAS (Leiden) 2007-2008
- Indian Diaspora
- Indian Islam
- Sikhism in India and in the Diaspora
- History of India
- Introduction to the Course History of india
- Sikhism in India
- Islam in India
- South AsIan Diaspora
- Ekaterina Smirnova. Shivaji the Great and the formation of the Maratha State in India (2003-2007, degree obtained in 2010)
- Olga Merenkova. Bangladeshis in London (2009-2013), degree obtained in 2014.
- Varvara Firsova. The Indians in Japan (2010-2015), degree obtained in 2017.
Publications: 120, including 11 monographs
Publications in English:
- Igor Kotin, (with Anderson R., Banerjee P., Bertagnoli F., Buzzi P., Cordini M., Gale P., German M., Harris K.L., Manzo L., Megele C., Pereira C., Roy S.) Migration, technology, and transculturation: a global perspective St. Charles: Lindenwood University, 2013. 288 p.
- Kotin I. Indian secular nationalism versus hindu nationalism in the 2004 general elections // The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics 2015. С. 2201-2210.
- Kotin I. The cow and the cross: south asians in russia and the russian christian orthodox church // The Changing World Religion Map: Sacred Places, Identities, Practices and Politics 2015. С. 1503-1513.
- Kotin I.Yu. Double migrants, diversity and diasporas: a snapshot of hindustani and indian non-resident community in the netherlands // International Institute of Asian Studies Newsletter. 2008. № 47. С. 18-19.
- Kotin Igor Y. Urban Ethnicity in Russia and the West. Is there a point for comparison? // Abstracts. The International Union of Anthropological and Ethnological Sciences. The 14th Conference. July 26 - August 1, 1998. Williamsburg. 1998.
- Kotin Igor. New Landscapes of the Sikh religion in Great Britain and Canada // NACS Triennal Conference of NACS (Northern Association of Canadian Studies). Abstracts. Stockholm, 2002. P.4.
- Kotin Igor.“New Old ‘Other’: Islam in Europe”. // 7th Biennial Conference of the European Association of Social Anthropologists ’Engaging the World’(EASA-2002). Abstract. P. 399-400.
- Kotin Igor Yurievich. Migration and Sanscritization: Hindu Rituals and the Caste Status Among Indians in Southall // 19th World Congress of Association of History of Religion. Tokyo. March, 2005. Book of Abstracts. Tokyo, 2005. P. 135-136.
- Kotin I. (With A. Krindatch). Russia. Religious Revival in a multicultural landscape. // The Changing Religious Landscape of Europe / Ed. H. Knippenberg. Amsterdam, 2005. P. 145-173.
- Igor Kotin, Turkey // The Encyclopedia of the Indian Diaspora / Ed. Brij Lal. Singapore, 2006. P. 240-241.
- Igor Kotin. Russia and Ukraine // The Encyclopedia of the Indian Diaspora / Ed. Brij Lal. Singapore, 2006. P. 364-368.
- Igor Kotin Eastern Europe // The Encyclopedia of the Indian Diaspora / Ed. Brij Lal. Singapore, 2006. P. 369.
- Kotin Igor. Religious Pluralism in London: Ethnicity, Religion and Caste Among Indians in Southall (Middx, UK) // Pluralism in the Diaspora / Ed. P. Kumar. Leiden: Brill. 2006. P. 175-187.
- Igor Kotin. Migration of Religions, Religions of Migrants. Indian Religions in Russia» // Abstracts. DVEW and EASR (European Association of the Sociology of Religion). Plurality and Representation. Religion in Education, Culture and Society. Conference. Bremen, Sept. 23-27 2007. P. 15-16.
- gor Kotin, History of Indian Diasporas in Russia and their Religious Transformation// Foundation for Critical Choices for India: A Quarter Century of Service to India, 2008. Foundation for Critical Choices for India, Leiden, the Netherlands. Foundation for Critical Choices for India, Leiden, the Netherlands, 2008. P. 47-59.
- Igor Kotin, Current relations and the perspectives of interreligious dialogue between Christianity and Islam in Russia: Russian Orthodox point of view// Christianity and islam in the context of contemporary culture. Perspectives of interfaith dialogue from Russia and the Middle East. Eds. D. Spivak and T. Tabbara. St.Petersburg-Beyrut, 2009. P. 98-108.
- Kotin I. The Visible and Invisible Religious Diversity in Moscow and St. Petersburg // Beliefs and Values. 2010. Vol. 2, N 2. Р. 154-163.
- Kotin I. Indian IT Professionals in Germany: Achievements and Failures of New Pro fessional Immigrants in the Heart of Europe // Nina Banerji and Myna German and Padmini Bannerjee (Eds.), Migration, Technology and Transculturation. A Global Per espective. Published by the Center for International and Global Studies, Linderwood University Press, USA, 2010. P. 220-237.
- Kotin I. Russia and its People. В серии World and Its Peoples. Редактор: Ceri Peach.P. Russian federation – cultural expression, p. 1373-4, Literature, p.1375-7, Art and Architecture, p. 1378- 9 ;Music and Performing Arts, p.1380 Film, p.1381 Dance inc Ballet, p. 1382 Festivals and Ceremonies, 1383 Sport, p. 1384-5, Food and Drink, p. 1385-86, Russian Federation – Daily Life, p. 1388-9 Family and Society, p. 1390-1, Health and Welfare, p.1392-3 Education, p. 1394, Housing. 1422-4 Ukraine – cultural expression, [combined Literature, Art & archi tecture, Music, Festivals, & Food and Drink], p. 1425-7 BCS Publishing Ltd, Temple Court, Cowley, Oxford, United Kingdom.
- Igor Yu. Kotin Islam in Russia and Perspectives of Christian-Muslim Interfaith Dialogue. P. 44-62 // World Religions in the Context of the Contemporary Culture: New Perspectives of Dialogue and Mutual Understanding. Christianity and Islam in the Context of Contemporary Culture: New Prospects of Dialogue and Mutual Understanding in the Russian Federation and Eastern Europe, in Central Asia and the Caucasus / Eds. D. Spivak, S. Shankman. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Branch of the Russian Institute for Cultural Research / RussianBalticInformationCenter "Blitz", 2011. 208 p.
- Igor Kotin, Moscow // Eds. M. Jurgensmeyer, C. Wade//Encyclopedia of Global Religion. Santa Barbara:University of California. 2012. P. 829-830. Vol.2.
- Igor Kotin, Fiji// Eds. M. Jurgensmeyer, C. Wade//Encyclopedia of Global Religion. Vol. 1. Santa Barbara: University of California. 2012. P. 402-403.
- Ahmaddiya// Eds. M. Jurgensmeyer, C. Wade// Encyclopedia of Global Religion. Vol.1. Santa Barbara: University of California. 2012. P. 21-22.
- Igor Kotin, Russia // Brill's Encyclopedia of Hinduism. Leiden-Boston, 2013. Vol. 5. P. 291-294.
- Igor Y. Kotin, Indians in Russia: A New Page in the History of South Asian Diaspora.