- Universitetskaya emb., Build. 11
- 2007–2008: PhD Program in Theology, Department of Theology, St. Petersburg Theological Academy (SPbDA). PhD Thesis: “Biblical Personalities in the Muslim Theological Tradition”. St. Petersburg Theological Academy (SPbDA), 2008.
- 2006–2007: MA Program in Theology, Department of Theology, St. Petersburg Theological Academy (SPbDA).
- 1998: Doctor of History Thesis: “The International Baha’i Community in XIX – XX cc. (History, Ideology, Structure)”. St. Petersburg State University (SPbSU).
- 1984–1987: PhD Program in History of Asian and African Countries, Department of Middle East History, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, Leningrad State University (St. Petersburg State University) (SPbSU). PhD Thesis: “The History of the Origin of the Baha’i Faith: Baha’u’llah (1817–1892) and His Teaching”. Leningrad State University (St. Petersburg State University) (SPbSU), 1988.
- 1978–1984: MA Program in Iranian Philology, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, Leningrad State University (St. Petersburg State University) (SPbSU).
- Current Full Professor, Department of Middle East History, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- Leading Researcher, Department of Manuscripts and Documents, The Institute of Oriental Manuscripts of Russian Academy of Sciences (IOM RAS).
- Visiting Professor, Department of Theology, St. Petersburg Theological Academy (SPbDA).
- 1999–2001: Professor, Department of Middle East History, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- 1995–1999: Associate Professor, Department of Middle East History, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- 1987–1995: Assistant Professor, Department of Middle East History, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- 1987–1994: Deputy Dean for Academic Practice, Faculty of Asian and African Studies, SPbSU.
- 1981–1982: Military Interpreter of the Ministry of National Defense of the Democratic Republic of Afghanistan, Kabul.
Awards and honors:
- Medal (III degree) of Saint Apostle and Evangelist John the Baptist, St. Petersburg Theological Academy (SPbDA), 2016 (№116).
- Certificate of Honor of the Ministry of Education and Science, Russian Federation, 2006 (№ 1782).
- Medal “In Commemoration of 300 Anniversary of St. Petersburg”, Russian Federation, 2003 (№210029).
- Medal “For Combat Merit”, USSR, 1983 (№510113).
- Certified Expert of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS). ID № 2016–01–4694–0744
- Member of Societas Iranologica Europaea (S.I.E.)
- Full member of International Association of Scientific Collaboration for Iranian Studies. Membership No: RU 1–15 1038.
- Visiting Researcher, University of Helsinki, Finland (2010, 2012, 2013, 2014), The University of Santiago de Compostela (USC), Spain (2014); The University of Wrocław (UWr), Poland (2014); The University of Lausanne (UNIL), Switzerland (2012); Stockholm University, Sweden (2011)
- Russian (native),
- Persian (fluent),
- English (fluent),
- Dari (fluent),
- Arabic (reading)
- Russia and Iran;
- Culture & Religion in the Middle East
- History of Iran and Afghanistan (Ancient, Medieval, Modern and Contemporary periods);
- History of Iran and Afghanistan: Historiography and Sources;
- The concept of supreme power and the structure of state administration in Iran under Islam in the late XVI – early XVIII cc.
- Russian-Iranian Relations in XVI-XX cc.
- Geography of Iran and Afghanistan;
- Concepts of Modern Religious Studies
- 2000–2014 – nine PhD students in History of the Arab World, History of Iran and Afghanistan (Medieval and Modern periods), Comparative Theology.
Publications: over 100 articles, reviews, translations etc. in Russian, Persian, English, including 6 monographs
- Essays on History of Russian-Iranian Relations (end of XVI — early XX cc.). St. Petersburg, 2017. 432 P.
- Russia – Iran. History of Relations and Evolution of Religious Ideas (end of XVI – beginning of XX cc.). Saarbrucken, 2012. 316 P.
- Russia and Orient. 3 eds.: St. Petersburg, 2000, 2002, 2011. (Co-author.)
- Russia, West and Muslim Orient in Colonial Epoch. St. Petersburg, 1996. (Co-author). 156 P.
- Brief History and Ideology of Baha’i International Community. St. Petersburg, 1998. 116 P.
- Baha’ism: History of teaching (middle of XIX — early ХХ cc.). Moscow, 1994. 180 P.
Selected List of Articles:
- Baha’is and Azalis as heterodox Muslim Communities in the Eastern Mediterranean at the End of the 19th Century // 28th Congress of the Union Européenne des Arabisants et Islamisants (UEAI 28) «Re-defining a Space of Encounter. Islam and Mediterranean. Identity, Alterity and Interactions». Abstracts. Under the auspices of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Regione Sicilia and Comune di Palermo. Palermo, Universita Degli Studi di Palermo, 12th–16th September 2016. P. 35.
- The Persian Gulf Plan by John Malcolm (1769–1833) in the modern history of Iran. Eighth European Conference of Iranian Studies. Abstracts. Electronic Edition. St.Petersburg, 15–19.09.2015.
- Palestine and the Activity of the Russian-Palestinian Orthodox Empire Association in the Archive of the Academy of Russian Sciences. The International Conference on the Russian-Palestinian Relations. An-Najah National University. Nablus, November 12, 2012.
- Persian National Poetry in Russian Oriental Studies of XIX c. The Second National Congress on Iranian Studies. Tehran, December 20–23, 2004.
- On Russian Fugitive Makintsev, famous as Samson Khan, and his Service in the Iranian army in the first half of the XIX c. The First National Congress on Iranian Studies. Tehran, June 17–20, 2002. (In Persian).